Basic Health Insurance

Minnesotans Can Get Low-Cost Basic Health Insurance

If you want to be insured in the United States, you need to start at the beginning – Basic Health Insurance. Basic Health Insurance is important for people who cannot afford healthcare through private or government sector insurance plans. Through the Basic Health Plan, various states can offer coverage to people who are legal residents or eligible non-residents, who don’t qualify for Medicaid, CHIP, Medicare, or any other low-income coverage and have annual income less than $1300 per month. If you meet the basic health condition criteria, Basic Health Insurance may cover you completely. Basic Health Insurance is usually called Medicaid Supplement, Health Insurance Tax Credit, or Medicaid Exchanges. Note that not every state offers this coverage so make sure to check with your state’s information first.

 

Basic Health Insurance is a federal program that

is designed to cover people with low-income as well as people who are qualified to receive Medicare. The federal funding for this program is provided directly by the federal government to state agencies. Some states also use their funds, while most rely on Medicaid funding. In New York State, for example, 90% of its Medicaid funding comes from the federal government, while the state provides the remaining 10% through various programs.

 

For those who qualify

Basic Health Insurance provides medical coverage and helps people pay for premiums, deductibles, and doctors’ bills. Premiums are paid according to how much the insured spends for services every year. Determining the price for coverage is based on age, whether the insured has a pre-existing condition, gender, the level of coverage needed, the deductible amount, the insurance company’s profit, and whether the insured enrolls for a Medicaid or Medicare supplement. To be eligible for the affordable care act, an applicant must also be approved for Medicaid.

 

According to a recent study by the Kaiser Family Foundation

a majority of people living in the United States are not covered by any type of health insurance, according to their state’s department of health and Human Services. Of those who are eligible for Medicaid but do not have medical coverage, an alarming 34% fall below the poverty line. Another alarming statistic is that one out of each five American adults is neither insured nor enrolled in any kind of Medicaid or Medicare program.

 

One major challenge facing today’s uninsured and underinsured individual

is that they cannot always decide between Basic Health Insurance and other types of private coverage. Health insurance laws vary among the states, as well as what is required of those who receive Medicaid or Medicare supplement benefits. Some states require individuals who receive public assistance to also be covered under basic health programs, while others only require Medicaid or Medicare recipients to be covered under one of their programs. For instance, in Minnesota, all residents who are eligible for Medicaid but do not have private health insurance are automatically enrolled in a Medigap plan, regardless of whether they also receive public assistance or not. Similarly, while no state-specific guidelines are governing who should receive public assistance to purchase private insurance, the vast majority of those who receive any type of public assistance falls within the private coverage category.

 

Even though there is no federal minimum coverage amount

there are a few federal benefits that most Basic Health Program participants receive that do not vary from state to state. For example, Medicaid participants are typically guaranteed issue for prescription drugs, and they also receive coverage for certain out-of-pocket expenses, such as copayments for doctor visits and deductibles for prescriptions. Certain other items are excluded from the program, including dental benefits, certain outpatient services, and certain accidental deaths that occur within the policy’s coverage period. States may also impose their supplemental insurance premiums, deductibles, coinsurance rates, and/or waiting periods. Consumers in need of additional Basic Health cover should shop around for the best deal.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *